"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

4.01.2013

big life news

(It's April Fool's Day, but this is not a joke.)

In the personal/professional life news category, I have some that's big: I'll be leaving Morehouse College at the end of this academic year to take a position as Assistant Professor of Government at Colby College in Waterville, Maine. The choice to leave Morehouse was not an easy one; I will miss our bright and curious students more than I can say.

Even so, I'm very excited about the opportunity to teach at Colby. The college has a strong emphasis on undergraduate research, attracts bright and ambitious students, and is pretty much the idyllic liberal arts college campus of my dreams. I'll be able to lead regular study abroad trips to east Africa to explore aid and development questions up close with students, and am looking forward to working in a major that has a reputation of being among the most challenging on campus.

Up next: moving to Maine and, inevitably, buying a Subaru. Thanks for sticking with me for the next stage of Texas in Africa: the Not in Texas or Africa Years.

3 Comments:

Blogger Virginias29 said...

Congratulations, Laura!

Monday, April 01, 2013 2:30:00 PM

 
Anonymous Rachel Strohm said...

Congrats!!

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 1:48:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulation

Saturday, April 13, 2013 8:51:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home