"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


this & that


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to Keller’s blog. I think Childers is a child soldier, because he is a adult in a foreign country he thus not understand, not the culture and not the politics. I recognize the type, because I was in the same situation. As a young guy I was a peacekeeper, and I though I had all the answers. By definition I new what was write and wrong. In reality I was mostly wrong because of colonial baggage and the simplification of military doctrine. The reality is that you shape up after a weak or a month. You receive a reality check in human and social behavior of a different culture, well that is if you are open for it. I don’t have much sympathy for international NGO’s, but I have a lot of respect for local NGO’s, because they don’t have a safety net in security, social benefits etc. The practices of mr Childers put the lives of these people at risk. I remember a Silesian father at ETO in Kigali, not ETO in Kicukiro, but ETO near Kimihurura. A catholic father in his 50’s, without a book deal, no movie, no milj in the bank and without a machinegun on his back. During the genocide he did an escape with orphans from Kigali and he found an exit true Bukavu in Zaire. As a veteran, that’s what I call a hero.

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 4:54:00 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home