this & that
- Today marks the 12th anniversary of the US embassy bombings in Nairobi and Dar es Salaam. The aftermath of the destruction in Nairobi remains one of the worst things I've ever seen. Hate looks like melted steel and twisted concrete and piles of rubble in a matatu yard. My thoughts and well-wishes are with the families of the hundreds of Kenyan, Tanzanian, American, and other victims, the vast majority of whom were simply innocent bystanders.
- Fred has a fantastic list of Kinshasa taxi slogans, and he wants your contributions. My favorite so far: Rien que la prière ("Nothing but prayer"), which is often how I feel when in transit in the DRC.
- A great story on Liberia's post-conflict land disputes, and the NRC's work in solving them. This bit-by-bit, parcel-by-parcel method of addressing these disputes is so needed in post-conflict situations around the world.
- If you're looking for a job in international development, you'd be crazy not to sign up for Alanna's International Development Careers List. $2 is a small price to pay for advice of this caliber.
- Todd Moss weighs in on whether the MDG's are good for Africa.
- Empire State of Brussels (HT: @sonjasugira)
- @tmsruge shares what he learned from 1 Million Shirts.
- Could Kenya's use of technology in the constitutional referendum be a model for other states in which electoral fraud is a problem? Like, say, here in the U. S. of A.?
- Dahlia Lithwick on the Prop 8 decision: "The real triumph of Perry v. Schwarzenegger may be that it talks in the very loftiest terms about matters rooted in logic, science, money, social psychology, and fact." Full text of the ruling is here.