"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

6.29.2010

while we were out...

I spent the last five days traveling to North Kivu. While I'll spare you the details (which involved two unplanned stops, two screenings of Invictus in planes that lacked seatback video screens, and a yelling customer "service" agent), suffice it to say that I will never - and I mean never - fly Delta internationally again. You know it's bad when Kenya Airways is the most pleasant part of the journey.

Anyway, hellish travel nightmares aside, I'll be in the DRC conducting research for the next six weeks or so and it's my intention to keep blogging as much as possible. That said, the vagaries of electricity being what they are, all bets are off when it comes to frequency.

This research is a continuation of my dissertation project, so I'll be looking questions surrounding at the role of community organizations in providing social services in the state's absence in the cities of Butembo and Bunia. At the moment, I'm in Goma, recovering from jet lag, seeing old friends, and marveling at how much the city has developed since I was last here. The amount of new construction is incredible.

I'm also enjoying getting to meet several people from the blogosphere and the Twitterverse. Yesterday, I had the privilege of hanging out with @santis and @tmsruge at the Women of Kireka project outside of Kampala. We had a great time chatting about community-driven development, improving access to banking for low-income families, and all manner of other subjects. You can check out pictures of the women's beadwork here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tauratinzwe said...

AH! The pleasure of flying Kenya Scareways.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:22:00 AM

 
Anonymous Linda @meowtree said...

I'm super interested in this aspect of community organized protection and services in the absence of state support/services. We're looking at this as related to strengthening community based child protection systems in countries with weak national protection systems. Looking forward to reading more, so hope you're able to keep blogging! (and glad you arrived finally)

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:53:00 AM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Linda, yes, that's part of what I'm looking at. Very interesting, sad, etc.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:59:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home