"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


chatting today

Today I'll be part of a conversation with several aid experts on smart giving, gifts-in-kind, and the 1 Million Shirts controversy. Everyone is welcome to listen in on the call and we will be taking questions. Here are the details:
  • Friday, April 30 at noon Eastern Time/US.
  • Log in online at http://readytalk.com and use code 3979111.
  • The call-in number is 866 740 1260 (note that this is a US toll-free number) / code 3979111. Alternative number is +1 303-248-0285.
  • If you're not in the US, local numbers can be found here.
  • If you can't find a local number, Skype should work with the above 866 number.
I'm looking forward to a productive chat that will help all of us to learn ways we can give well. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the conversation in the comment thread below. Thanks to @katrinskaya of Mobile Active for pulling it all together.


Blogger JCN said...

This box-that-turns-into-a-soccer-ball-for-poor-kids seems to be going viral by way of The Daily What today:


Would love to hear what you guys think of it.

Friday, April 30, 2010 7:09:00 AM

Blogger AnneH said...

from @methel - really sorry I can't make the discussion today. My aspiration for the project would be that it could do as much to spread knowledge of the real issues of Africa outside of Africa as it does to spread assistance inside Africa. I wish you productive discussions and look forward to improved understanding all round.

Friday, April 30, 2010 8:35:00 AM

Blogger Chris Waluk said...

Won't be able to listen in, but I think it's good when aid workers/critics actually sit down and talk with successful social media marketers. Seems like these two groups don't typically hang out together.

Friday, April 30, 2010 9:14:00 AM

Blogger rajasthanexpress said...

I am an attorney in New York City who would like to join the International Development industry. I am following Alanna Shaikh's advice and working on improving my foreign language skills and learning more about the industry/aid community. I am listing to your phone conference right now and, I would like to thank you for the opportunity to hear all of you speak.


Friday, April 30, 2010 11:14:00 AM

Anonymous @gentlemandad said...

too much in too little time.

Friday, April 30, 2010 12:07:00 PM

Blogger EarthSummit said...

A conversation that was long overdue. People are more civil on the phone than they are online. Is #SmartAid the followup hashtag?

Friday, April 30, 2010 12:34:00 PM

Blogger Eric said...

I must say that your point was the most poignant and the most ignored. The root of this issue is the feeling that "doing good" and "helping Africa" is what is needed, that people need to be pushed off of their couches for this "greater good" which involved aiding Africa. We need to disrupt this thinking that somehow Africa needs to be saved by well-meaning Westerners.

Friday, April 30, 2010 12:37:00 PM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. I'm thinking that I'll dedicate next week's posts to thinking about this idea of "saving" Africa. Any ideas for specifics?

Friday, April 30, 2010 3:40:00 PM

Blogger Adam Hooper said...

Here in Africa (it's a town--so homogeneous you can't even call it a country), I mentioned 1 million shirts to my coworkers.

I'll say, "This American wants to ship a million shirts to Africa."

And thrice in a row, the response was an askance look, a pause, and the innocent question, "why?"

They don't ask that question when people donate money to combat AIDS.

Great idea to have the talk, and I wish I could have listened. It's about time this debate enters the mainstream media, and I think this uproar might help.

Friday, April 30, 2010 8:12:00 PM

Blogger savina said...

Hi, I'm new around here. Just wanted to say that I'm impressed by the teamwork, by how Jason and the potential conflict were managed, and by the way the whole discussion unfolded. To be flagged as "good practice" for the future!

Saturday, May 01, 2010 4:42:00 AM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Great points. Adam, there will apparently be a story in Time Magazine about all this, so that should serve as good attention, I hope.

Saturday, May 01, 2010 2:49:00 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home