this & that
- "How many masterminds does it take to plan a grenade attack?"
- We are approaching the point of having 100,000 UN peacekeepers.
- Would you follow best practices if you were an average resident of a developing country?
- RwandAir looks at flying to DRC.
- Here's a nice post on Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's short story collection, which is nominated for this year's Commonwealth Writers' Prize for Africa. (If you haven't read Adichie's work before, this would be a great place to start. She is an incredibly talented author whose books explore post-colonial themes in beautiful prose. I used Half of a Yellow Sun in my African politics course this year, and while it's probably too long to use next time around, it was a fantastic jumping-off point for a discussion of the nature of post-independence Nigeria, the tension between the traditional and the modern, ethnicity, the role of new political elites, and pan-Africanism.)
- A fascinating chart on income distribution by religion.
- A nice overview of the battles over gay rights in developing countries.
- What makes a great teacher?
- Alice in Wonderland = all about algebra.