this & that
- Here's a great piece on the work of conservationists John & Terese Hart. I had the pleasure of sitting with John on a flight from Kinshasa to Goma a few years back. The Harts have been in DRC for nearly 40 years and know just about everything there is to know on their subject. They also use a community-based, bottom-up approach to protecting rare species and habitats. Land rights are at the center of the ongoing Congo conflict, and that issue is inseparable from the conservation issue. This one's definitely worth your time.
- Rob Crilly's book is out for those of you on the London side of things. Dear Rob's publishers: please get the book out over here. Soon.
- Also, you can learn from Rob's mistakes.
- Will paying off the Mai Mai help in DRC? Goats might be a better idea.
- On useful skills picked up in Darfur.
- Pitchfork does Afropop. Grant covers Pitchfork. (Also, when did I get old and stop reading Pitchfork? There was a time it was one of my daily checks...)
- Rain - and the diseases that come with it - is coming to Haiti.