"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


the reading list

Several weeks ago, I asked for your help in compiling a reading list for my students who want to be well-prepared for graduate school or work in international affairs. And, wow, did you respond! Between this blog's readers and suggestions from colleagues and friends, I think it's safe to say that we have a solid list that should keep them busy through the winter break and beyond. (I didn't include every single suggestion in an effort not to completely overwhelm my students - and because I need to read some of the things you suggested first!)

Thanks to everyone who contributed, and please feel free to add more suggestions in the comments.

(A note about Scribd: If you click on the document below, you can print the list from there. Starred items are those I highly recommend.)
International Affairs Reading List


Blogger Dr. Bruce Prescott said...


Here's another addition for your section on Terrorism:

Robert Pape, "Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism"


Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:21:00 AM

Anonymous Geoff said...

Looks great!

(V minor corrections: Karl Polanyi, not Michael; Amy Chua, not Chia; Dave Eggers, not Eggars).

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:45:00 PM

Blogger Laura said...

And now we all know how little sleep I'm surviving on. :) Thanks, Geoff.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:32:00 PM

Blogger revaz said...

I would think that Mamdani's "Victims" is more important than "Survivors."

Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:15:00 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I have to ask: what's with all the Huntington?

I suppose everyone has to read _Clash of Civilizations_ just to understand what's wrong with it. But _The Soldier and the State_? That's a book whose central thesis is that the decadent, self-indulgent society outside the Army base should be more like the disciplined, self-sacrificing career military officers inside it. And it was written in the /Eisenhower administration/.

Doug M.

Monday, December 28, 2009 2:12:00 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home