"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


this & that


Blogger Charlie Mac said...

Two comments: both funny to me.

The picture of the protester's sign in Atlanta is taking a truth and making it seem bad. If any vaccine was not at least a little "toxic" the body would not produce anti-bodies to fight off the virus/microbes which cause the disease.

If Obama were to be successful in seteling the long running discussions about the BCS and playoffs, he might indeed deserve the Noble Peace Prize.

Thursday, October 22, 2009 5:35:00 PM

OpenID awesomeave said...

I don't get why people are taking medical advice from Jenny McCarthy (hello, Singled Out!)...I know folks that stagger the vaccines, and know some that have put them off.

As a parent, it's hard to make these choices...who's right? Who's wrong? Are they both right and wrong?

I do vaccinate, and thoroughly believe in it. The diseases we prevent through these are truly bad, bad, bad, and definitely worse than the reaction from the vaccine in the average kid. I don't want my kids to get these diseases, nor do I want them to spread these diseases.

I'm also very lucky that my kids have had no reactions - hardly even a fever - from vaccines.

I do know those that don't vaccinate, or at least delay, and I partially get it. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I can sympathize.

I am glad I don't have a daughter though. I have concerns about that Guardasil crap.

My husband and I also have concerns about the H1N1 vaccine. And no, we DO NOT watch Glenn Beck (unless to mock and relish in the idiocy)...just have concerns about timing and how they're rushing to get it out there. I'm going to talk to our pediatrician though, and trust her enough to go with her recommendation.

OK, I'll shut up now.

Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:58:00 PM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

I totally get that, Emily. But you obviously get your medical advice from doctors (real doctors, with degrees and licenses and experience) as opposed to getting it just from what you read on the internet or heard in the carpool lane. And I get the H1N1 concerns. Every doctor I've heard from thinks it's much more dangerous not to get it, especially since it's essentially the same as the normal seasonal flu vaccine in terms of how they made it.

This strikes me as one of those debates we only have because as a society we're so rich and well-off that we don't have to worry about real problems. I don't know many Congolese moms who would turn down the chance to get their children vaccinated against MMR, polio, teatnus, and TB.

Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:16:00 PM

Blogger Charlie Mac said...

My doctor advised me to not get the H1N1 shot. He said he would not get it. My wife's doctor flat told her do not get the H1N1 nasal spray shot. Both advised getting the "regular" flu shots, which we had already done. So now you have heard of at least two doctors (both MDs) who advise patients against the H1N1 vaccinations.

"In terms of how they made it." Really, are you sure? When did they start rushing thru formulating, testing (for both effectiveness and safety), and production of the "normal" flu shots?
Charlie Mac

Friday, October 23, 2009 6:23:00 AM

Blogger Charlie Mac said...

The first girls have not received H1N1 shots. Why? The spin report is,"it is not available to them because of their low risk factor."
Yeah! Right!
"I believe, help my unbelief."
MK 9:24
Charlie Mac

Monday, October 26, 2009 6:58:00 AM

Blogger Charlie Mac said...

Well what do you know? Now the press release is that the First Daughters did receive their H1N1 vaccinations last week after it bacame available to all school children in D.C.
What a special first family, they wait until all others are served before they protect their own children.
"I believe, help my unbelief. Mk 9:24
Charlie Mac

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:02:00 PM

Blogger Canada Guy said...

The idea of a politically united Africa, Pan-Africanism, has been around for over a hundred years. While the pan-african movement has been involved in anti-slavery and anti-colonial struggles and the fight against Apartheid South Africa, there has never been any significant movement towards a political unification. However, recent historical events, quite unexpectedly, may provide an impetus in this direction.


Thursday, November 05, 2009 9:36:00 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home