"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


only in scandanavia

You know things are a little crazy when I agree with The Kristof [emphasis mine]:
"I think he has the right instincts on these issues and expect him to get engaged, but shouldn’t the Nobel Peace Prize have a higher bar than high expectations? Especially when there are so many people who have worked for years and years on the front lines, often in dangerous situations, to make a difference to the most voiceless people of the world? I think of Dr. Denis Mukwege at the Panzi Hospital in eastern Congo, or Jo and Lyn Lusi at the Heal Africa Hospital also in eastern Congo, or Greg Mortenson traipsing all over Pakistan and Afghanistan to build schools, or Dr. Catherine Hamlin working for half a century to fight obstetric fistula and maternal mortality in Ethiopia, or so many others. In the light of that competition, it seems to me that it might have made sense to wait and give Obama the Nobel Peace Prize in his eighth year in office, after he has actually made peace somewhere."
He had me up until he referred to poor people as "voiceless."

I think we will probably see that President Obama is baffled by the committee's decision as well. Obama is smart enough to recognize that the simple fact of not being George W. Bush does not a global peace maker create. It's yet another distraction at a very important time in domestic politics and will give the people who oppose Obama for the sake of opposing Obama even more ammunition in their pointless war of words.

Oh, but what I would've given to have seen Hillary Clinton's face when she heard about this.


Blogger Brendan said...

> Oh, but what I would've given to have seen Hillary Clinton's face when she heard about this.

Absolutely. I think he should give it back (: http://bit.ly/eljyy), but I'd be really interested to hear your perspective on this.

Friday, October 09, 2009 9:13:00 AM

Blogger euphrony said...

1) Do you think he should refuse the award? I've heard talk of that already, and not just from right wingnuts.

2) Hillary - has anyone seen her today? I picture some kind of rigor mortis like The Joker's grin as the doc's work to restart her heart.

Friday, October 09, 2009 2:06:00 PM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

No, I don't think it would do anybody any good for Obama to refuse the award. His response struck me as pitch-perfect: basically a big, "Huh?" followed by, "I'm humbled and this presents a challenge." Giving it back would raise tension with Europe and be more of a distraction from the health care, Afghanistan, and economy debates. Accepting the prize, donating all the money to charity, and moving on is probably the best thing to do at this point.

Oh, I want to see pics of Hill and Bill today. So badly.

Friday, October 09, 2009 3:39:00 PM

Blogger euphrony said...

I'm thinking I'll have to watch Saturday Night Live tomorrow night - they should put something together quickly to give a dramatic reenactment of the Clinton's reaction.

Friday, October 09, 2009 3:44:00 PM

Blogger Charlie Mac said...

So now we know why Obqma has been dragging his feet in making a decision on his field commanders request.
Forget Hillary's facial expression when she heard the news, I would like to know the expressions on the faces of those "on the ground" in Iraq and Afghanistan. Especially when Obama mentioned his role as Commander-in-Chief. I almost lost my breakfast.
Oh, well, his name now goes alongside others who have won the prize. Jimmy Carter, Woodrow Wilson, Yasser Arafat, The UN, etc.
Charlie Mac

Friday, October 09, 2009 10:17:00 PM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Euphrony, SNL should totally hire us for ideas. I'd be willing to come up with 1-2 for $1K a week plus a travel allowance, how about you?

Charlie, the White House had no advance knowledge that this was happening. It had nothing to do with Obama's decisions on Afghanistan.

I don't think being in company with Jimmy Carter and Woodrow Wilson is a bad thing. It's certainly better than throwing one's lot with the kinds of politicians who authorized assassinations or trained rebel movements and armies to torture civilians. Like, say, Ronald Reagan.

Saturday, October 10, 2009 11:23:00 AM

Blogger euphrony said...

TiA - I'm in! Now just let me know when they accept our offer. In the meantime, I'll keep acting like a rheologist and you deliberate you nomination for next year's peace prize.

Sunday, October 11, 2009 5:18:00 PM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Perfect. And I already have my nominees in mind.

Monday, October 12, 2009 9:57:00 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home