this & that
- Via Kenyan Pundit, here's an outstanding reflection from a Senaglese entrepreneur on the problem with microcredit. As Wade points out, microcredit programs and their ilk are all well and good, but most don't really get people out of poverty and into the middle class with a hope for the future. This is something I've been thinking about quite a bit lately; what good does it really do the poor if all our aid only makes most of them slightly less poor? How can we ensure that everyone has the opportunity to life the kind of lifestyle he or she wants to pursue?
- Could it be that the poor know more about poverty than the rest of us? Some interesting thoughts.
- Mali's president, Amadou Toumani Touré, promises he won't run for another, constitutionally-prohibited term in office.
- My Congressman - aka, Representative Non-Responsive to Constitutent Concerns Except in Summers Prior to Elections - has apparently taken an interest in Darfur.
- The Texas Observer has some amazing photos taken in the Texas Panhandle during the Great Depression.
- White African has some great travel tips for going to African countries, sans Kristof's exaggerations. Much appreciated.