"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

5.14.2009

lazy

I just got off a flight full of screaming babies, most of whose parents were not as clever as the dad in the row behind me. He convinced his toddlers that the seatbelt light is the "no crying light." And it almost worked given the bumpy nightmare that was air travel through middle America today.

How's that for an excuse for not having a good blog post today? Instead, here are a few newish blogs you really should be reading:
  • Rachel Strohm's Development Dailyis a great look at humanitarian and development work from someone on the ground in central Africa. I was going to link to her post entitled "A comparative taxonomy of African cliches" before everyone else did. (Really.) Thank goodness I'm not an Africanus impecunius polisci. Yet.
  • Intelligent Advocacy is brand spankin' new and looks very promising thus far. The goal of the site's author is "to make the point that, while the problems facing the poor both in the United States and the global South are jarringly obvious, the solutions to those problems are pretty complicated." We here at Texas in Africa totally support that.
  • I've mentioned it before and I'll mention it again until you're all regular readers: Mo'dernity, Mo'problems is a trip.
  • This blog obviously isn't new, but Professor Blattman has an excellent post/summary of Popper on theory building. One day, those of us who haven't given up on inductive reasoning are going to win. The data is on our side. Oh, yes it is.

By the way, now that I'm finished with graduate school and theoretically have some time on my hands, I've been trying to update the old blogroll. If you're linking to Texas in Africa and I'm not linking to your blog and you'd like me to link to your blog, leave a comment or shoot me an email and I'll be glad to return the favor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home