"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

4.22.2009

in which i secumb

Extra-alert Texas in Africa readers may have noticed that over the weekend I did the one thing I swore I'd never do. I signed up for Twitter.

I've railed against Twitter in the past, mostly because I think it contributes to the culture of oversharing that leads my students to write about what they had for breakfast and what they think about French poodles in their papers on criminal justice hearings at the Texas capitol.

But.

Here's the thing. The community of people who blog and think and write (hopefully not in that order) about African states, foreign policy, humanitarian issues, state failure, and a lot of other stuff I care about are mostly on Twitter. And it's impossible to keep up with everything without signing up.

So there you have it. I'm on Twitter in order to save time. And so far, it's not bad.

I also think it's going to make this blog a little more focused, which is a goal I've been pursuing for awhile. For now, I'm going to try putting things that used to go into the biweekly "this and that" feature on my Twitter feed instead. Conveniently enough, you can read my Twitter feed right there on the right side of the page without joining Twitter, so if you're a fan of that feature, it's as easy as ever to click through to amusing links. You can look at my Twitter page at any time without signing up as well, so if you've missed a few links, that'll be the place to catch up. I promise that under no circumstances will I use Twitter to report on my trips to the library, grocery store, or Target. That's just a little too much sharing for me.

If you are a Twitter person and like the Texas in Africa take on these issues, you can follow me here. Thanks to those of you who already are. As soon as I figure it out, I'll do my best to follow you.

It's a brave new world.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Sister said...

You know you spelled succumb wrong, right? Please tell me that was a joke I didn't get.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 5:09:00 PM

 
Blogger Amy said...

As one of my blog commenters so perfectly put it today...Twitter is about the exchange of information, now what you had for breakfast. ;)

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:08:00 PM

 
Anonymous Taylor said...

Someone said 'facebook is for finding old friends and twitter is for finding new friends'.

I had the same feelings about twitter as you. It's where I drew my line. I didn't want people knowing when I went to bed or when I got up and I didn't care to know when others did the same.

Though only after living in Africa for 1 week, I signed up. All the African tech/web people I interfaced with (Ushahidi.com and others) were all communicating via twitter. I was hooked.

PS. Just signed up to 'follow' u on twitter.

Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:18:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home