"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


this & that

  • Here's a great response to the other stupid thing the pope said in Africa this week. The one and only Catholic mass I've ever attended was in a Luhya village in Western Kenya in 1998. I didn't understand a word and the Kenyan nun next to whom I was seated kept glaring at me when I didn't know when to stand or to kneel. But it was still a very moving and remarkable experience; the integration of dance into the liturgy and the presentation of fruits and grains at the offertory made it clear that the Catholics of Western Kenya have made the religion their own. But, hey, if the pope wants to kill something that beautiful, who am I to say otherwise? (HT: Chris Blattman)
  • The more we learn about the Bush administration's activities, the more clear it is that some its members committed crimes. Detention without charge of known innocents is a violation of the most basic principles upon which this country was founded. I don't know what else to say.
  • How 'bout them Baylor Bears?
  • Global disputes at the dry cleaner's.


Blogger texasinafrica said...

Spam gets deleted!

Sunday, March 22, 2009 4:00:00 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home