"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


this & that: waiting for baylor to disappoint us edition

  • Ah, low-tax, low-service state government.
  • It's SXSW time here in scenic, suddenly freezing cold Austin, Texas. Come hell or high water, I will see Justin Townes Earle at least twice this week. Oh, yes, I will.
  • Speaking of, my friend Rod is blogging the film festival part of South-by.
  • I'm a little annoyed with the Obama administration for throwing out the term "enemy combatant." Not for legal, human rightsey reasons; it's definitely the right thing to do. But this is the last semester I'm teaching American government, and I don't want to rewrite my Gimo lecture.
  • I'm generally opposed to Twitter because it contributes to the atmosphere of oversharing that is ruining our society. Evidence? Here. (My apologies to the good people of Waco, whose jurors did not commit that error as I'd earlier misread the byline.)


Anonymous mark said...

Just for the record, that wasn't in Waco. It was in Arkansas. It was from WCCO, which was perhaps misread as Waco....

No promises, but I'd like to think that folks in Waco have more sense than that.

Saturday, March 14, 2009 9:27:00 PM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Oh, thanks! I seriously misread that.

Saturday, March 14, 2009 10:50:00 PM

Blogger Amy said...

It seems to me that it would be easy enough to share that same info sans twitter....the problem there is really the cell phone isn't it?

I started out being opposed to Twitter but got sucked in anyway and it all depends on how you use it. I see it more as a giant chat room where I've been able to connect with people in a different way. It's fun for me, but I can see it wouldn't be for everyone.

Sunday, March 15, 2009 12:22:00 AM

Blogger Charlie Mac said...

I wonder? When a person who has been released from Gitmo (formerly called an "enemy combatant") is later found to be leading a terrorist sleeper cell, an Al Qaeda terrorist group, or any other extremist Islamic terrorist group, will we be able to once again call him an enemy combatant?

Nah! Our brilliant CIC will probably bring the "double jepordy" rule of law into play at that time.

This is the administration which can not change the contracts companies have with their top executives and prevent the use of "bailout funds" to pay executives large bonuses.

It can however, change the contracts companies have with unqualified private individuals who lied or at least stretched the truth on loan applications and can no longer make the payments or sell the house for the amount owed. They can force the company to lower both the amount owed and the interest rate on that loan. Screw the investor who bought mutual funds, insurance policies, IRAs, etc. in companies who bought the "paper" that Fannie & Freddie had loaned because our brilliant congress wanted to help the poor people. (aka buy their votes)

Oh, crap, if the government can force companies to lower the figures on a loan to an unqualified individual, can they then using the same warped logic raise the figures on a loan?
Well, maybe not, at least not yet, but your next loan will cost a lot more!

"O" poo. I wish I had a degree from some Ivy League school so I could understand either the legal or economic logic behind all this.

Sunday, March 15, 2009 4:17:00 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home