"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


lame excuses

Things are a little crazy here. My students are super-antsy for spring break, which begins tomorrow. I started on an insulin pump, which will be great in the long run, but for now is very stressful and time-consuming. My computer randomly shuts itself down every three to ten minutes. (Luckily, I know why.) And the pirate paper is really taking off, which is taking up a lot of time what with trying to track down everyone involved in transferring ransoms to Somalia. Turns out getting $5 million parachuted onto an oil tanker in the Gulf of Aden is way more complicated than it seems.

That's all to say, sorry for the lack of substance on the old blog this week. Yeah.


Blogger Carole Turner said...

Hello. Are you a type one diabetic? My daughter is 12 and was diagnosed at 2, she has been on a pump since age 6. She loves it, so do we, but yes, at first it is a lot to learn.

I want to make sure you are the "texas in Africa" I read about on flowerdust.net a while back, she had your story on there about working with people dieing in Africa? I assume there are not two "texas in Africa" but I wanted to make sure.

We just returned from Ethiopia where we adopted a 6 yr old boy. I want to go back and work with Orphans. I advocate for their care from sponsorship to Orphan life skills development to adoption. SO, I love reading all your Africa post.

God bless and I hope I have the right person cuz' I linked you on my blog.

Friday, March 13, 2009 9:49:00 AM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Hey, Carole, thanks for the link. I've lived with type 1 for sixteen years but am just now getting on the pump due to some issues with living in central Africa and it being very difficult to replace if it had broken. That's so fantastic that you're an orphan advocate and that you've adopted from Ethiopia. Very cool.

I don't know that Anne Jackson ever wrote a post about me, but I definitely read her blog and comment from time to time. My work in Africa is mostly academic research, but I advocate for Congolese women and girls back home. I also write over at inspiredtoaction.com - we did a focus on adopting from Ethiopia a couple of weeks ago. Thanks again for the link and for stopping by!

Friday, March 13, 2009 11:00:00 AM

Blogger Charlie Mac said...

I saw in the news that the Japanese are sending ships to assist with the pirate problem. Parachuting ransome money to the pirates on the ship a problem? Just give it to the Japanese. They could more accurately deliver it via Kamikaze pilots. Kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Friday, March 13, 2009 4:25:00 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home