this & that
- Best customer complaint letter EVER. I'm going to start photographing the airline food I don't eat and sending it to airline CEO's with a request for flight vouchers. (Tip for your international travel adventures: never eat dinner on the plane. The food is bad, bad for you, and it just messes up your internal clock even more to eat supper, attempt to sleep, and eat breakfast six hours later. It's MUCH better to eat 1-2 hours before your flight and attempt to go to sleep as soon as the dinner service is over.)
- Thank-you, Olusegun Obasanjo, for reminding us of the obvious.
- I'll believe the Rwandans will leave Congo this month when I see it.
- Racism in Seminole, Texas? Nooooo...
- I teach my students this every semester: changing demographics mean that Texas is inevitably going to become a Democratic state again. Gallup has an early poll suggesting that it's already happened. I'm skeptical about their results, but there's no question that there has been a significant shift in the political affiliations of my students over the last six years. I do think the shift will happen sooner than we thought; in ten years, nobody's going to care about the Republican primary.
- Speaking of, the new Texas Monthly cover is one of my favorites ever. That I won't be in Texas for the 2010 race is the saddest thing ever, 'cause it's going to be a doozy.