"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


on hiatus

Gentle readers, my dissertation is due on Friday. It's hard to believe that time has flown so quickly these past, um, seven years, but here we are. The end is near and it appears that The Advisor wants me to graduate. Since I have a million tasks to complete involving things like changing every book and journal title in the footnotes from being underlined to being italicized(and there are a LOT of footnotes), formatting all the headings according to the graduate school's fascist rules about font sizes, and, oh, yeah, finishing chapter four (my nemesis), I'm taking the week off from blogging and just about everything else. We'll see you back here in March.

PS - I have some posts up over at Inspired to Action, where we're finishing up a monthlong focus on the HIV/AIDS crisis.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having handed in my dissertation one week ago today, I truly empathize. May the word processing software cooperate.

Sooner Fan

Monday, February 23, 2009 8:00:00 AM

Blogger austinokie said...

Remember to breathe Laura....consider this a form of "fasting" for Lent...or at least the early part of Lent.....and congratulations

Monday, February 23, 2009 8:06:00 AM

Blogger Gary Snowden said...

Blessings on you, Laura, as you wrap up the dissertation. My wife basically kicked me out of the house for a week as my deadline neared so I could get it done. It worked!

Monday, February 23, 2009 8:50:00 AM

Blogger Michael said...

Good luck! May the gods of STATA look upon you with mercy!

Monday, February 23, 2009 8:58:00 AM

Blogger euphrony said...

I loved working with the thesis office. No, really - and I'm not saying this through clenched teeth. Well, maybe a little clenched.

In the end, meeting the peccadillos of font size, spacing, etc. that the thesis office required was almost harder than writing the stupid thing. I feel for you this week.

Monday, February 23, 2009 9:36:00 AM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Thanks, y'all. Chapter four is now done and thankfully my dissertation doesn't involve STATA because I have a moral objection to math. This isn't the final formatting nightmare (that's yet to come), but I'm trying to get as much out of the way as possible for now.

Monday, February 23, 2009 5:08:00 PM

Blogger the librarian said...

Congrats! Let me know when you get it turned in so we can celebrate.

Monday, February 23, 2009 5:28:00 PM

Blogger Michael said...

You don't have to have statistical evidence to back up your claims? Do you get to do all case studies?

I hate math too, that's why I ask.

Monday, February 23, 2009 6:04:00 PM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Yep. The joys of being a comparativist. Basically, when you work on state failure, there are very few reliable statistics to gather and the data for the coding you do is so full of gaps that it's pointless to do regressions. We build our own datasets from scratch and it's a huge mess, but that's the fun of it. (To be clear, I'm co-authoring another project on pirates that will involve lots of math. We're not completely off the hook.)

L - Thanks! Maudie's?

Monday, February 23, 2009 6:53:00 PM

Blogger Charlie Mac said...

I do SO wish I could or would not do the math! I would not be so upset by what is being done in Washington D.C.
Data full of gaps? How enlightening! That phrase says so much about liberalism.

Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:50:00 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with everything! :)

Thursday, February 26, 2009 8:03:00 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home