wednesday this & that
- President Obama (oh, that sounds SO good!) has ordered the suspension of all military tribunals at Guantanamo, which seems like a good idea given that so many of the prosecutors have quit on the grounds that participation in them would be unethical since they seem to be rigged against terror suspects. This is the first step towards closing the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, resettling those prisoners who were held without just cause, and beginning fair trials for those who really were engaged in terrorism.
- Rwandan troops entered North Kivu yesterday under an agreement with Kinshasa to help rout out the remaining FDLR Hutu militia members. theoretically they are under Congolese command, although we all know about how effective that is. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that they're headed up to Rutshuru to see their friend Laurent Nkunda.
- And it's also a coincidence, of course, that humanitarian aid workers and MONUC troops aren't being allowed into the area where the Rwandan troops are staging their operation. Nothing will win hearts and minds like letting Rutshuru starve, Kigali.
- I want to travel on multiple passports.
- T met Ben Affleck AND John Cusak at the Google Ball last night. Sigh.