this & that
- Mark Driscoll = as ridiculous as the Calvinism he preaches. Molly Worthen, who wrote the article, however = still as awesome as she was as a Yale Daily News columnist.
- Israel appears to be using white phosphorous in civilian areas of the Gaza Strip. That's a major violation of the Geneva Conventions, seeing as white phosphorous burns down houses and burns through to the bone if it touches human skin.
- I'd heard the story of Mark Garlasco, the former Pentagon targeting expert turned Human Rights Watch researcher in the above piece, before. It's part of a fascinating episode of This American Life about the fight over the number of Iraqi casualties in the war; check it out here.
- Tennessee had a big surprise in its Speakers' race as well.
- Your handy guide to who'll be protesting where during next week's inaugural. Except some of the professional protesters won't be "protesting" as much as "encouraging."