"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


to light the ways of time

Well, Baylor issued a response to the racially-tinged incidents that occurred on campus last night after Obama's election, including a noose-like rope that was hung from a tree. I trust interim Baylor president David Garland, and I know he takes this seriously.

But as my friend and fellow blogger the Big Daddy Weave points out, Baylor's response is nowhere near adequate to address one of the ugly secrets of many Christian universities. Baylor needs to have a serious, honest conversation about race with all of its students, not just those who show up for some random coffee hour. Talk about it in Chapel-Forum. Spend a little less of Welcome Week setting people up for rush and/or their future marriages and a little more talking about what cultural diversity really means. Cover it in mandatory freshman seminars.

At least they're responding to actual racism this time, unlike back in my day when the administration couldn't tell the difference between satire and actual racism. They almost kicked out several of my friends - some of the smartest, most politically aware, and of the least racist people I knew at Baylor - over that ridiculous incident.

I wonder if Baylor will respond in the same way to those who perpetrated a real crime.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today I'm proud of my country, but terribly ashamed of my alma mater. It saddens me that these 'Christians' are filled with such hate.


Wednesday, November 05, 2008 9:39:00 PM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Me, too.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 10:01:00 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home