"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


more election stuff

  • The transition website is up.
  • Watch this and don't cry.
  • There's a baby-naming craze in Kenya. "Pamela Adhiambo, who gave birth to twins – a boy and a girl - on the night after the elections, named them Barack and Michelle Obama. ...Mrs Adhiambo said she hoped the names would motivate her children to work hard and achieve as much as the Obamas."
  • Obama picked Congressman Rahm Emanuel as his chief of staff. Emanuel is a piece of work - son of a militant Zionist, he volunteered in the Israeli army during the Gulf War. He also has a reputation for playing hardball; once he sent some pollsters he was mad at a dead fish. In the mail. As politico.com puts it, "If his goal had been to create a cordial bipartisan tone in Washington — much less a calm, profanity-free West Wing — Obama would have looked elsewhere."
  • You can pretty much tell from the map (of places John McCain outperformed George W. Bush) where the uneducated racists live. I mean, where there's a high level of white voters with low levels of education and income. Shoot, even Floyd County got more Democratic this year. (Note, click on "Voting Shifts" and look at 2008.)


Blogger David McCullars said...

There was a song we had to sing in elementary school ... "Arkansas, you run deep in me." Not any more. Guess I shouldn't be surprised ... it was after all the birthplace of the KKK.

Friday, November 07, 2008 12:27:00 AM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Um, excuse me, but the KKK started in Pulaski, Tennessee. That's what we were taught.

Friday, November 07, 2008 11:16:00 AM

Blogger David McCullars said...

Oops, I guess I meant KKKK. Evidently it's the largest faction of the KKK, and has its headquarters in Harrison, AR.

Friday, November 07, 2008 11:59:00 AM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Well, thank goodness we cleared that up. :)

Friday, November 07, 2008 1:16:00 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. I'm so embarrased by your comments. You're a horible person to be an example of America in Kenya. I grew up in Kenya. Have a Masters degree. AND, what about the uneducated black voters who all voted for Obama. I'm sick of this. Sick of being bashed for voting for whoever I want to. How dare you think you're more educated then anyone or that anyone who voted differently is wrong. You should be ashamed.

Sunday, November 09, 2008 8:25:00 PM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Excuse me, anonymous, but you clearly don't know me or anything about me. I'm not bashing ANYONE for voting for whomever they wanted. Plenty of my friends and family members voted for McCain, and it's not like I've think they're racists, because I know that they are not. They voted on certain issues, and I voted on others, therefore we came to different conclusions. That's how democracy is supposed to work.

I do, however, think it's fair to criticize someone in this day and age for voting ONLY on the basis of race. And we know that racism often correlates with low levels of education; people who never experience learning and working with people who are different from them are much more likely to carry prejudice into their voting behavior. This is not my opinion; it's demonstrable fact.

There are plenty of indicators that large segments of the populations of Tennessee, Arkansas, and eastern Oklahoma have plenty of voters who are perfectly willing to tell reporters and pollsters that they wouldn't vote for a black man. That doesn't mean that EVERY voter in those places voted for reasons of race, but it's not a coincidence that some of the most racially charged areas in America overlap with some of the places where Obama got the least support.

I'm happy to engage in conversation, but please don't make unfounded accusations, especially when you aren't even willing to give us an identity.

Monday, November 10, 2008 3:55:00 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home