"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


it has a price

Focus on the Family chose to focus on politics instead, and it's costing them.


Blogger euphrony said...

It really is a sad case. I've listened to Focus on the Family on and off for years. I've heard some great programs and amazing testimony from people whom you would never imagine talking about their devotion to God. I still often think about hearing David Berkowitz (Son of Sam) talk on the show about how his life was so changed from his time in the spotlight because of God - really a very powerful testimony, even before I caught who it was who was talking.

But, as you say, they chose not to focus on families and changing them for the better but have focused on top-down change. With this shift came also a vehemence in their speech and a hypocrisy in their actions. (For example, just after election day I heard Dobson praising "our brothers in the LDS" for the huge amount of money they raised to get Prop 8 passed. I've never heard FotF talk positively about the Mormon church, much less call them brothers.)

I hope they rediscover their focus before what could be a great organization completely collapses.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 12:28:00 PM

Blogger Roger said...

When my children were very young, I read Dobson's books and found them helpful. Therefore, it came as a great surprise to me to learn that in the congregation I pastored, the actual ghostwriter for some of these books (and one of Billy Graham's) was a Ph.D. student in religion at Baylor, who also worked for Word Publishing. From that point on, I just went to him for advice!

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:19:00 PM

Blogger Michael said...

I don't think focusing on politics is that far from what FOTF says it is supposed to be doing. Take a look at their core principles page. It lines up with their political work.

And just because they are involved in politics doesn't mean it has cost people their jobs. The very fact that they are involved in politics probably brings in quite a bit of donors as well.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:24:00 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home