"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

11.06.2008

baylor pride

The more I learn about what happened at Baylor this week, the more disgusted and embarassed I am. You can watch some of Baylor's finest explain exactly what happened, and you can see the bonfire of Obama paraphernalia here.

Press releases and a voluntary, one-hour coffee are not enough to address this incident. If you are a fellow Baylor alum or a Texas Baptist, I hope you'll joining me in writing to Baylor Interim President David Garland to express your hope that the administrative will take stronger action to ensure that it is clear to every Baylor student that this kind of behavior is not acceptable. I know that Dr. Garland will do the right thing; I also know that it never hurts for alumni to ask for proactive steps to be taken.

You can email President Garland at david_garland[AT]baylor[DOT]edu, or mail a letter to:
Office of the President
Baylor University
One Bear Place #97096
Waco, TX 76798-7096

3 Comments:

Blogger Alexis said...

I think this is a good post. Glad you provided the contact info. I have to ask- are you going to post anything about the UT football player? I was just thinking how I know so many Baylor Alums and current students who are appalled at the actions of a few students. As an alum, I can't control what a crazy few do (I do believe that they have some info on who did the noose and will get to the bottom of it and hopefully expel the person), and I believe there are crazies at every school- ie, UT. Thoughts?

Thursday, November 06, 2008 3:38:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Mack Brown kicked the kid off the UT football team already, and he (the player) issued a public apology that was on the news tonight. That's the difference between the two places; UT dealt with many of its race issues a long time ago (some of them due to landmark court cases). Not that it's a perfect place, but the problem is recognized and addressed head-on here.

I do think there are crazies everywhere, but no one at UT would ever dream that it's socially acceptable to do something like that here. The worst thing that's happened in the past few years was the egging of the MLK statue; it happened at night, in secret. The administration responded by holding forums and installing security cameras around the statue.

Thursday, November 06, 2008 6:54:00 PM

 
Blogger Big Daddy Weave said...

I'm not blinking twice about some racist at a public school.

This happens everywhere. When I was at UGA, members of a frat dressed up in black face for a beer bash. At a different frat party, homeless African-American men and women were hired to dress as slaves and pick cotton during the kegger. Or maybe that happened at Auburn. It happens everywhere.

Baylor is a Christian University with a Christian mission. In light of that, I have to hold Baylor to a higher standard than I would UT or my alma mater, UGA. I expect Baylor's Administration to Talk Tough and damnit Act Tough. Baylor has had these Faith & Learning discussions for 5+ years now. It's about time that Baylor has similar Faith discussions in the context of race-issues. Clearly, it is needed. Expelling a handful of students won't get to the heart of this racial tension.

Thursday, November 06, 2008 7:03:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home