"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


thursday this & that


Blogger Michael said...

So comparing a white liberal to black liberals is race baiting? Perhaps it is just pointing out that the guys is liberal. You and I both know that party ID and ideology go hand in hand.

And as someone who use to live in Northern Virginia, it is waaaay different than "real Virginia". I'm not claiming Northern Virginia isn't anymore real that the rest of VA. I'm just saying that there are obvious differences. A lot of people in NOVA are transplants from other areas, so they probably don't have the same values as the rest of VA. I'm not justifying the comments; just saying how I would interpret them.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 11:38:00 AM

Blogger Michael said...

And I would also add that we both know that African Americans are usually democrats. So the chances of finding black, liberal democrats for a campaign add are high.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 11:48:00 AM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

I'm not buying it, especially given that Bob Perry is funding it. Look at the attempt to make everyone there look sinister - the dark, Halloween-like tree. And if you're running in Texas, you can EASILY find some Latino liberal Democrats to demonize as well.

I know that NOVA and the rest of Virginia are very, very different. I'm just pointing out the lack of wisdom in making that distinction in the press. You alienate people with ties to both areas - like the thousands of Northern Virginians who go to UVA or Virginia Tech.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 12:56:00 PM

Blogger Michael said...

I think it is all how you look at it. I didn't think anything of it until you said something. I don't see race. I see liberal democrats. I think most Americans are the same way, especially those that are ideologues. It seems like every time a politician is challenged who happens to be African American people assume it is race. I just don't buy it. I think most Americans are so far past that it doesn't matter. To those idiots that do vote on race, it's not like the flier is going to suddenly make them realize that they probably shouldn't vote Democrat.

And I never knew that making your opponent look sinister was an obvious reference to the fact it must be because they are black.

I just don't like that idea that anytime the obvious is pointed out (there are black people in this world that are politicians) that people assume the KKK is involved (yes, a little sarcasm there). The reason we can't get past race is because no one wants to. Playing the race card is so much easier than having an actual debate about the issues.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 2:07:00 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...


I was born and raised in "fake Virginia." I have relatives throughout the state--in other metropolitan areas such as Virginia Beach, in the Roanoke area, in rural towns up and down I-81, and in a county so small that the only stoplight in the entire county is on the driving range at the high school. By and large, we are all concerned about the same issues, and will be voting for Obama. Are there differences between NoVa and RoVa? Sure. But I find more commonality between the concerns and needs of all Virginians than I do differences.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:28:00 PM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

I learned at dinner from one of my Republican friends (yes, I have Republican friends!) that the Democrat in that flier is an evangelical Christian, and that there have been lots of crazy things happening in that race.

I would love to get past race, but the fact that I recognize the racism in such tactics doesn't mean that it's there just because I'm seeing it.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:42:00 PM

Blogger Michael said...

Nor does the fact that you are seeing it mean that everyone else sees it that way as well.

Friday, October 24, 2008 6:51:00 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home