"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


scarier than a ghost

Our department released a poll yesterday on how Texans are viewing the presidential election, as well as other down-ballot races. Among the key findings:
  • McCain is up on Obama, but not by as much as we'd expect. The poll, taken October 15-22 with a 4% margin of error (which is higher than the ideal 3%), shows McCain pulling 51% to Obama's 40%, with 8% undecided. This in a state that re-elected George W. Bush with about 61% of the total vote.
  • In the Senate race, it's Cornyn 45%, Noriega 36%, and Libertarian Adams-Schick 5%. Considering how poorly the Noriega campaign was run, it's not surprising that he's basically only getting the hard-core Democratic vote.
  • 89% say the economy is worse off than it was a year ago.
  • Bush's approval rating is 34%. How far the mighty have fallen.
  • And (you knew this was coming) 23% of my fellow Texans believe Barack Obama is Muslim. That's compared to 5-10% nationally. Had they sampled my cousins, I bet the percentage would've been closer to 100.


Blogger Charlie Mac said...

I would think you would be more scared and focused on today's road game with the Red Raiders.
I'm pulling for TT. I know you are to young to remember TT's former coach J.T. "I'll suprise the opponents with a punt on 3rd down" King. OH, TTU has come so far from those days, in both football and academics!
Guns Up!
Charlie Mac

Saturday, November 01, 2008 7:46:00 AM

Blogger Susanne said...

Based on his background, I don't see why it's so alarming that so many people think Obama is a Muslim. The church he was a member of calls itself Christian, but it has very close ties to Black Islam/Farrakhan (do some investigating about that group and Chicago, and you'll be very alarmed). After reading about Obama's stand on issues (abortion, gay marriage, etc.) and hearing him speak, I doubt he really believes in much of anything as far as religion goes. What matters to me is that he undoubtedly has strong sympathies to muslims, which I am quite uncomfortable with considering we are at war against islamic extremists. I want a guy in office who will refuse to sit down and talk with Iran unless they meet certain pre-conditions. Bottom line: Obama scares me. I've prayed for months and months now about this election, and I only get more uneasy when it comes to Obama. McCain is without a doubt the better choice for our country. How a Christian could vote otherwise is beyond me.

Saturday, November 01, 2008 8:18:00 AM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Susanne, I believe in voting on the issues, not on rumors. If abortion and same-sex marriage are the most important issues to you, then, yeah, you should probably vote for McCain. But I hope you'll make a decision about Obama's character based on who he is, rather than on all the nasty rumors that are floating around. There's no evidence whatsoever that Obama "has strong sympathies to Muslims."

As for whether Obama is a Christian or not, I take him at his word on that. Just like no one else can know the condition of my heart, I have no idea what goes on inside Obama's heart and mind. His old church is part of the black Liberation Theology movement, which is decidedly Christian, but not in a way that makes most white Americans comfortable.

Regardless, under the Constitution, there's no religious test for office in this country. It doesn't matter whether he's Christian or Muslim or nothing at all. And for Christians who are voting, I think that no single candidate comes even close to standing for what could be called Biblical values. They are all inconsistent. So we just have to go with the issues that we each care about the most.

Saturday, November 01, 2008 11:39:00 AM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Charlie, we're going to wreck Tech tonight!

Saturday, November 01, 2008 11:39:00 AM

Blogger Charlie Mac said...

I am trying to stay out of political discussions because I have enough to worry about in my life right now, but:
While you are correct that a persons religious beliefs may not be used to qualify a person for becoming president, but neither is it illegal for a voter to use a person's religion as a reason to vote against him or her. Many voters, myself included, in fact believe it is imperative that voters consider a candidate's faith, education, experience, past performance, and alliances when voting. Political rhetoric aside one current candidate for president fails all of these, IMHO.
Charlie Mac
We shall know tomorrow about the UT road trip to the plains?

Saturday, November 01, 2008 1:55:00 PM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Mac, I absolutely agree. Taking their faith, character, etc. into account is a-okay with me. I just don't think that the implication that Muslims are somehow "less American" or that a Muslim president would doom America are right, fair, or constitutional.

Saturday, November 01, 2008 5:36:00 PM

Blogger Charlie Mac said...

Great Game and outcome!
Charlie Mac

Saturday, November 01, 2008 11:02:00 PM

Blogger Ann said...

Susanne, your methodology of choosing a candidate scares me and I question your faith and the way you have chosen to follow Christ.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 9:39:00 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home