"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

10.01.2008

p's and q's

It's safe to say that I have fairly strong feelings about thank-you notes. Namely, I view people who don't write them promptly as bad members of the species, raised by wolves in an uncouth forest full of those who lick their knives at formal dinners and men who let their dates walk on the street side of the sidewalk. And, try as I may, I almost never forget who failed to send thank-you notes after his/her wedding, baby, birthday, etc. (February 2005, I'm talking to you.).

Love keeps no records of wrong, but Miss Manners certainly does.

So normally I would say that there's never a reason to not write a thank-you note.

(A real one. On stationery. Email doesn't count.)

Unless, that is, you're a politician accepting huge gifts from lobbyists and other donors and then failing to report those gifts on your Senate financial forms.

That's the one and only time I can think of that thank-you notes might be a tiny negative.

Especially if it's used as evidence against you in court.

4 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

nice angle.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 12:17:00 PM

 
Anonymous kirstin said...

glad i sent you a thank you card last week for the baby gift!! :)

actually, i pretty much agree with you - it drives me crazy when people don't send thank you notes. my husband wasn't raised to send thank you's (maybe it's not part of colombian culture as much??) and i have to beg him to send them when he gets things. he does, but you'd think it was the worst task ever.

(anyway, i know that wasn't really the point of your post, but wanted to comment anyway!)

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 5:01:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

I should have said that I totally give a pass to new mothers! And I was very impressed that you sent a note! :) Hope y'all are doing well!

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 5:06:00 PM

 
Blogger CharlieMac said...

Even if William Jefferson D-La had written thank you notes to those who "contributed" to the huge sum found hidden in his freezer, he would still be running for re-election. He probably would still have the same very good chance of winning.
Charlie Mac

Thursday, October 02, 2008 6:36:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home