"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

10.21.2008

justice

"Honorata Kizende looked out at the audience and began with a simple, declarative sentence.

“'There was no dinner,' she said.

“'It was me who was dinner. Me, because they kicked me roughly to the ground, and they ripped off all my clothes, and between the two of them, they held my feet. One took my left foot, one took my right, and the same with my arms, and between the two of them they proceeded to rape me. Then all five of them raped me.'”

- As quoted in the NYT

Congolese women are beginning to speak about the use of rape as a weapon of war. Their stories are not easy to process, but they need to be heard. And there's a growing effort to track down and prosecute those who commit these crimes.

Donate to help Congolese women and girls who are victims of rape here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home