"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


it gets better

I want Colin Powell in the Obama administration. (And I want him to run for president. He has too much good sense to do so, which is why he would make a great president.) Obama should make him Secretary of Defense, if Powell will agree to serve. For one thing, it would make a statement to the Middle East that America is NOT a nation whose benefits are only reserved for white Protestants, a message that is sorely needed in a region that sees the Iraq war as another iteration of the Crusades. More importantly, Powell has the experience and skills to clean up the mess that Rumsfeld made and that Robert Gates doesn't have sufficient time to repair. I can't think of anyone who could better oversee the withdrawl from Iraq that the Iraqis want to happen by the end of 2009.


Blogger Michael said...

I love Colin Powell. I can't think of a job in government that he wouldn't be good for. I think I could make a pretty good argument that he is one of the greatest Americans since WWII. This guy is dead serious when it comes to serving. It's not just fancy talk or politics. It's his life.

Monday, October 20, 2008 11:08:00 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home