"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


hey, texans

Today is the last day to register to vote in the Great State. Info on how to register is here, but you should probably just go to your local grocery store or county clerk's office, given the whole time constraint thing. Somebody will be outside the Wal-Mart registering people. If you're in Austin, the College Republicans and University Democrats will be happy to accost you on the West Mall.

If you don't vote, you are NOT welcome to complain on this blog. I'm just sayin'. :)


Blogger Michael said...

Am I a bad American if I want less people to vote and I am not encouraging my students to register? (I'm not discouraging either. I'm just not mentioning it.)

Monday, October 06, 2008 6:48:00 AM

Blogger euphrony said...

It just occurred to me over the weekend that I have to vote early this year. I'll be out of town on election day and only get home late that night. Probably a good thing, overall, because then I won't be able to totally obsess over the most current news. Although, I know what will be on the airport TVs, so there's my news source.

Monday, October 06, 2008 8:16:00 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know, Michael. That depends on if you are in a primarily conservative or liberal area....

Monday, October 06, 2008 8:48:00 AM

Blogger UPennBen said...

I'm going to have to vote early this year, which means I might not get all of the research info I need. So the question is: for or against prop 2?

Monday, October 06, 2008 11:03:00 AM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

I think wanting less people to vote is undemocratic, yeah.

Prop 2, I'm a yes. It's ridiculous that taxpayers aren't fully benefitting from that nonsense and that the city council made it easier for national chains to compete against local businesses. The fact that there's true bipartisan support for the measure makes me think it's probably going to pass.

Monday, October 06, 2008 11:28:00 AM

Blogger Michael said...

Oh well. You and I both know the probability of of vote mattering is minuscule.

Monday, October 06, 2008 1:45:00 PM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Yep. And apparently it can kill you: http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/06/is-voting-dangerous-for-your-health/

Monday, October 06, 2008 2:12:00 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home