the debate in review
A few brief thoughts:
- No major gaffes for either of them. That's good for them, boring for us.
- Here's an early fact-check. More here. Lots of misleading info tonight.
- Palin has learned to not answer the questions like any good politician.
- Biden was too policy-wonky, insider DC baseball-ish. It was painful.
- Palin was too folksy. It was painful.
- When I heard Sarah Palin say that she believes the powers of the vice-presidency are constitutionally broad, I almost choked.
- Moving the embassy to Jerusalem? That's Steve Biegun all the way. It happens every election, and it will tick off the Arab street.
- Gwen Ifill did a bad job. She let them get away without answering questions almost the entire debate. Part of that is due to the conditions about the debate that the campaigns set, but the moderator should always do more to keep them on topic.
- I think Biden won. Watching the CNN undecided-voter-o-meter, it was clear that his answers were more popular more of the time. For so much of her answers, especially for the last hour, was flat.
- That said, Palin could have destroyed the McCain campaign tonight. And she didn't.
- Palin's suit was really cute.