"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


living on faithless street

Yesterday a student stopped by my office hours to clairify some of the points from last week's lecture on campaigns and elections. She's on top of things, which became even more clear from her questions about faithless electors. "Faithless electors" is a term used to refer to members of the electoral college who could hypothetically vote against the candidate for whom they're pledged to vote.

It's an historical anomaly, but it does happen.

Anyway, my very eager student wanted to know more about this, so she had called the Texas Republican Party to ask who their electors are this year, and, to quote her, got "a not-very-nice response." So we did some digging on their website and found the list of electors while she was in my office.

I took one look at the list, saw #7, and nearly choked.

Seriously? This is the hill on which the judge is choosing to die?

I don't know what else to say that's appropriate.

Good thing I managed to hold most of it in while my student was there.


Blogger Roger said...

Well, your clue revealed who it was before I clicked the link. I think I am going to be sick....#7 is beyond the pale...

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:37:00 AM

Blogger Alexis said...

randomly, I think that one of the other electors is my best friends uncle.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:35:00 PM

Blogger CharlieMac said...

OH the irony of it all.
The name "faithless" electors.
The number 7 is the number of perfection.
Judge PP having to vote for a woman to a higher office than his.

It will be so interesting to watch should #7's district vote Republican. Will Judge PP vote his convictions or his duty? OR can he even separate the two?

Do you think his inner man would be fighting itself?

This is almost as sad and as funny as US allowing the same poeple who wrote the laws which led to the mortgage crisis suddenly stepping up to fix it in a hurry!

Come quickly Lord!

Charlie Mac

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:41:00 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home