"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)



Did anyone else see the Baylor game last night? Yes, they lost, but, um, well, there were things in that game I've never seen from a Baylor team before. Like completed passes. Players with skills. And even a little defense. Not to mention actual coaching. Baylor lost, but Baylor was actually in the game.

I can't process it. The cognitive dissonance is too much.

But since Melissa the Missionary just sent me the above-pictured bit of east African goodness (she found it in Ethiopia; it's from Kenya; her theory is that some Baylor person ordered it and never picked it up), now seems as good a time as any to address the charges that were unfairly levelled against me on my friend Rod's Mixed Martial Arts Sunday School podcast. That's right, gang; I got mocked on a podcast for a sport I know nothing about.

Rod's specific criticism is that since I went to Baylor for undergrad, the fact that I cheer for UT makes me a bad person. Or something like that.

Now, I'm not one to worry too much about what an Aggie thinks of me. But this deserves some answering. Here are my points:
  1. It's not that I don't support Baylor. It's that I don't focus my energies on cheering for Baylor. I always want them to win, except when they play Texas and I don't know what to do.
  2. Being a Baylor football fan is disheartening. If it's all you've got, you'll start to hate God's greatest sport. And who wants that?
  3. I've been at Texas longer than I was at Baylor and Yale combined.
  4. And they pay me to be here.
  5. And it's a better atmosphere for college football.
  6. And I cheered for Texas before I even thought of coming here.

So there.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a game to get to at the lovely, newly expanded DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium. Hook 'em horns!


Post a Comment

<< Home