"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

9.19.2008

a day in the life


For the record, I would say that this semester I'm doing about 50% research, 30% job market preparation, 19% teaching, and 1% weeping for the future of Texas because my students lack prior knowledge about the Declaration of Independence. Thankfully, pitiful graduate students at the end of the process don't have to waste so much time on "service to the department/university/profession."

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

And the life of a grad student?

60% reading literature that no one cares about and that has no importance for my dissertation.

20% preparing to teach and teaching

10% doing needless bureaucratic mess to make the dept. happy

10% complaining about how I don't have enough time to work on my dissertation because of what I am forced to spend the other 90% of my time on.

Friday, September 19, 2008 12:53:00 PM

 
Blogger CharlieMac said...

TIA,

You can take some comfort in knowing that your students may not know the constitution by the time they reach you, but they do know that 'W' is a bad president. They know that man is causing global warming, largely due to the use of fossil fuels. They know that poverty causes crime and that welfare is a 'right'.

Soon they may come to you knowing that government is supposed to insure that no company fails because of greedy or poor management.

Have a good weekend, my teacher friend.
Charlie Mac

Friday, September 19, 2008 3:12:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home