"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

8.27.2008

year 26

Today is officially the first day of school. It's kindof irrelevant for me since I'm teaching Tuesday/Thursday classes this semester, and since I'm missing the first day of that due to a professional conference.

But today is still significant because, Lord willing and the creek don't rise, this is my last first day of school. (As a student, anyway.) For those who are counting, this makes my 26th consecutive year of being educated, what with 13 years of public education, 4 of college, 2 of a master's degree, and 7 of PhD work. No wonder I'm so tired. :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Gary Snowden said...

TIA,

I think you're still on track to finish your PhD at a younger age than I did--33 in my case. I think the total years of education though are the same--26. I had one extra year for the M.Div. (3) and one less for the PhD (6). I trust that the job search process goes well. I engaged for awhile in the pursuit of a job in the academic world when we returned from overseas, but with both of my advanced degrees from a Southern Baptist institution and finding myself in a sense as a persona non grata among Southern Baptists (non-signer of the BF&M 2000), that limited opportunities. I'm grateful to be where I am at a wonderful church and celebrate my 5th anniversary on staff here this coming Sunday.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 11:58:00 AM

 
Blogger Michael said...

I just started my tenth year of college. I think my utils decline with every year. Isn't it suppose to be the opposite?

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:09:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Congrats on five years, Gary! Yeah, I should be just turning 31 when I finish.

Michael, I think there's an inverse relationship there!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 9:36:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home