"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

8.17.2008

sunday this & that: reality vs. perception edition

  • What happens to 80% of the clothes you donate to Goodwill, the Salvation Army, etc.? They get baled, shipped to the third world, and sold to vendors, who put a markup on the clothes and sell them to the public in markets and on the street. Here's a video that explains why I've seen Sigma Chi shirts on the streets of Nairobi.
  • Amani ya Juu sells gorgeous quilts made of fabric from clothing found in those markets - which are known as mitumba markets in Kiswahili. They consider it a way of ministering to the vendors by purchasing their goods.
  • Some people are taking their photoshopping a little bit too far.
  • Here is a very thoughtful article on the phenomenon of video-casting churches, that is, megachurches that start satellite campuses and broadcast in the sermon from one central campus. (I'll tell you up front that I think this is a very bad thing, not least because it's impossible for a pastor to preach to the local church and its condition if the church has 100,000 members, and, also, because I don't think there's any morally upright justification for spending $250,000 on a hologram-projecting high definition video system when people are starving. I'll get off my soapbox now.) One of the most interesting points in the article is that such an approach to church growth and evangelism actually interferes with theology. You really should read this one.
  • Come hell or high water, we will have at least one vice-presidential nominee named by this time next week. My money's on Tim Kaine for Obama and another old white man for McCain. We'll see. If Obama picks Joe Biden, I'm not sure I can vote for that ticket.
  • Jon Stewart: the most trusted man in America.
  • Your Olympic coverage could be worse.
  • Go on over to the Librarian's blog and watch Mr. Rogers learn to break-dance.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Piro said...

My name is Christopher Cambell and I am a Junior at Moody Bible Institute, studying Communication. I am doing something of a research project and was wondering if you would like to participate. The study is of Christian females who blog online. Your name will never be used, but your words may be quoted (as an anonymous surveyor of course) in a paper. If you are interested, please email me your responses to these questions at CHRISTOPHER.N.CAMBELL@MOODY.EDU

1) If someone were to ask you to describe yourself, how would you describe yourself?

2) Is this affected by your affiliation with Christianity? If so, how?

3) What is the purpose of your blogging online?

4) Do you believe the purpose is consistently accomplished?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you and have a nice day,
Christopher Cambell

Sunday, August 17, 2008 8:46:00 PM

 
Blogger Michael said...

I think Kaine is the obvious pick as well. I'm a fan of Richardson, but NM, even though it is a bit of a swing state, isn't that big of a deal relatively speaking.

Monday, August 18, 2008 6:53:00 AM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

My understanding is that Richardson has too many skeletons in the closet to make it through the vetting process. But who knows?

Monday, August 18, 2008 11:09:00 AM

 
Blogger MamasBoy said...

"If Obama picks Joe Biden, I'm not sure I can vote for that ticket."

I'm flabbergasted you would consider voting for anyone else, given your recent string of political posts. It's clear you are a solid Democrat, even (especially?) from your comments on pro-life issues.

"My understanding is that Richardson has too many skeletons in the closet to make it through the vetting process."

Richardson will never be VP. He could bring down a ticket by himself. I live in NM, and there's a reason the local papers sometimes refer to Richardson as King Bill (complete with pictures of him with a superimposed crown on the front page). He is the most nasty, partisan politician I've ever had "represent" me. If you are a GOP senator, public schools in your district may get funded 25% of the time for construction/maintenance (which is where alot of this happens in NM), while Dems get funded 90%+. Last year, the roof of a high school gym collapsed after years of neglect and vetoed funding requests. He just doesn't go after GOP politicians, though. If you are a Dem senator who dares oppose his rule all your funding requests will be opposed and subject to his line item veto. Also, he has gone so far as to tell a nonprofit that they couldn't have his Dem critic on their board or else they would lose their state funding.

I don't care what party one is from, you don't play hardball politics with school funding or tell nonprofits who they can hire on their boards as a condition of state funding. Maybe his lack of conscience and ruthlessness makes him a great hostage negotiator, but he would suck as president of VP. Obama would also lose all credibility as someone who is willing to work across the aisle if he were to pick Richardson. That alone seems to exclude Bill from the picture, since Obama has made that a major theme of his campaign. All one would need to do to make an Obama/Richardson ticket look bad is reprint stories from local NM papers.

MB

Monday, August 18, 2008 3:10:00 PM

 
Blogger CharlieMac said...

Obama's running mate will be whom ever it is that his handlers pick for him.
Anyone who answers the question of when do a baby's rights begin with "The answer to that is beyoned my pay grade", and also state that he did not believe Clarence Thomas had the experience or was qualified to be nominated to the Supreme Court, (when he had less than one term experience as a Senator before he began his run for president) has to have someone much smarter than himself pulling the strings.
(Personally I still would not be shocked at a resurrection of Hillary at the DNC)
Charlie Mac

Monday, August 18, 2008 8:24:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Mac, I have to disagree with you there. Obama's a really smart guy - he taught at the University of Chicago law school, which is one tough (and very conservative) place. He's playing the game with language like they all do. And I agree with you that all bets are off on what's going to happen at the convention, although I think they'll have a hard time filling that stadium if she tries to pull something.

MB, I am not a member of a political party, and I am undecided about this fall's election. I don't like Bill Richardson either, because I heard him say something horribly racist to a group of wealthy Dallasites about ten years ago.

Monday, August 18, 2008 10:24:00 PM

 
Blogger MamasBoy said...

"I am not a member of a political party, and I am undecided about this fall's election."

Sorry, I thought Texas had closed caucuses, which (if memory serves me correctly) would make you a registered Democrat. I guess that's what I get for trusting wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_election

MB

Friday, August 22, 2008 3:54:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home