"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

7.01.2008

my easy load

Longtime readers of Texas in Africa know that I don't "do" Christian music. (Chalk it up to living in Franklin, where members of the youth choir became CCM superstars and we all learned that CCM is a business before it's a ministry. When my friend J came back from tour with our classmate R, she could mimic R's hand motions of "worship" exactly in time with every song while R was on stage. That tends to disillusion you a little bit.) As I've shared in the past, so much Christian music is just really, really cheesy and lacking in innovation. It's not me.

(And yes, I know that means I'm being unfair to those Christian artists who are doing good stuff.)

That said, there are a couple of songs on my rotation these days. Sara Groves' "When the Saints" is one of them, and with the 40 Day Fast being in full swing, it seemed like a good time to post it:



I see the long hard shadows of Calcutta nights
I see the sisters standing by the dying man’s side

I see the young girl huddled on the brothel floor
I see the man with a passion come and kicking down the door

...And when the saints go marching in,
I want to be one of them.



HT to Kat for finding the video.

3 Comments:

Blogger euphrony said...

Seriously a pretty awesome song. The lines you quote get me every time. Reading the story Sara tells about Elizabeth, the "young girl huddled on the brothel floor" who was rescued by IJM workers, and knowing a little more personally the truth and reality of those lines drives it home. I cannot help but be moved to kick down that door, as well.

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 8:36:00 PM

 
Blogger Debra said...

awesome song: check out also a song by Voco: on myspace: you have to arrow down to How Can I Cry: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=22501988, or maybe it will play when you get there, who knows!

I think that link will get you there. I've actually ordered the music. Main theme: so, why is our freedom ruled by our birth? ...I sing for all the souls who do not complain."

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 9:29:00 PM

 
Blogger Michael and Jenny Clark said...

Agreed! My husband read and article from I forget where, but the point was that Christian artists don't understand subtlety, and therefore everything is just blurted out, 7 times in a row, without much interest in the lyrics.

I would say that my church here in Louisville, Sojourn, has done a great job in the music and arts, and I would be interested in what you think of their latest music on the CD "before the throne". You can listen and download off itunes here:
http://www.sojournmusic.com/music/

Don't worry - I totally won't be offended if you think its awful, but I have a feeling you **might** enjoy some of it!
cheers
jenny

Saturday, July 05, 2008 4:18:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home