"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


maybe it could be part of beach reach?

The great thing about Camp CLC is the kids who come to our institute. This year, for the first time, most of our kids are not from the D/FW-Austin-San Antonio-Houston population centers. Instead, they're from West Texas and small towns and Nacodoches.

And we have one student who's come to us from George West, Texas, where not only did a guy named George West name a town after himself, pay the railroad $100,000 to go through his town, and pay for a new courthouse at a cost of $75,000 if the county would move the county seat to his namesake hamlet, but where his prize longhorn is also preserved in an air-conditioned, glass-fronted chamber outside the county courthouse.

The longhorn's name is Geronimo.

I must see this. Soon.

And you should take a look at the National Texas Longhorn Museum.

Clearly V.I. Lenin has nothing on George West, Texas.

And this is way cooler than that spectacle in Lexington, Virginia.

Who's up for a roadtrip?


Blogger Gary Snowden said...


Unbelievable! I can't believe that you featured facts about George West on your post today. That was my hometown from the time I was in the 1st grade until graduating and heading to UT-Austin. I didn't have to change mascots either as we were the George West Longhorns. I actually have a very poor shot of Geronimo that I took on my cellphone camera last summer when I went home for a class reunion--the first one I had attended since the 5 year one back in 1976. It had been raining heavily and the glass was fogged up on the inside. I don't know if the student mentioned it or not, but Geronimo made a trip to Russia as a part of some kind of cultural interchange. (This was the stuffed version of him).

I enjoyed the return visit to George West a lot. It was great to see a lot of friends and visit old stomping grounds. I even had the opportunity to preach at FBC there, my home church growing up. My brother missed the reunion last year but went the weekend before the 4th of July this year for another multi-class reunion.

Thanks for the feature on George West and Geronimo.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 12:36:00 PM

Blogger Roger said...


Tuesday, July 08, 2008 3:16:00 PM

Anonymous the librarian said...

I can't find it on Roadside America, so we should go, take pictures and write a post.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 5:28:00 PM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Gary, that's wild.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 10:16:00 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home