"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


glory hallelujah

They are giving me a TA for the fall. And a class that's over twice the size of my current one, at a time that may make it impossible for me to work the second job. But they're giving me a TA for the fall.

This is the best possible news.

I might actually be able to finish my dissertation.

Finally, a benefit to having been around longer than anyone else.


Blogger Michael said...

Congrats. I figured y'all all got TAs . . . and well compensated.

A few months ago a was at Barnes & Noble and picked up a book in the career section about jobs you can get with a college degree. One of the jobs listed was as a graduate assistant. Apparently the average pay for a GA is $26,000. That sure isn't what I make.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 7:38:00 PM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Ha! I think that "average" is in the sciences, where they've got swanky federal grants. Here at UT, they pay TA's just enough to be over the poverty line. For my job, it's a little better, but we normally don't get TA's except in the summer.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 9:32:00 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home