"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

6.03.2008

this is the end

The AP says that Obama has clinched the Democratic nomination for the presidency.

I have to say, I am not yet sold on an Obama presidency. I'm very unsure as to whether his vision of foreign policy is solid enough to get this country out of the mess Bush has left us in. I do think an Obama presidency would rebuild credibility with many of our allies, but I also think McCain understands the importance of doing the same. Obama's statements on Iraq have been pretty naive in my view, and I'm concerned that he'll lead us down a Carteresque path (Before you jump on me for that, as much as I admire the former president's humanitarian and peacebuilding work, as a political scientist, I believe his foreign policy work as president was a disaster.).

But for the first time in my adult life, I am looking forward to watching a campaign that will be fought between two candidates that are worthy of respect. I don't know for whom I'll vote in November, but I know that, for once, I'll get to vote for a candidate, rather than against one.

(BTW, Obama will just be asking for disaster if he picks Clinton as his nominee for the vice-presidency, but she would make an excellent Secretary of Homeland Security, and could clean up that disaster while staying out of Obama's hair.)

That said, I never believed that a major party would nominate an African-American for the presidency in my lifetime, nor did I believe that he or she would actually have a chance at winning. That's something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home