"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

6.18.2008

my future = abilene?

Having a T.A. = Totally Awesome.
  • Exam at 8:30am on Monday after Texas in Africa was out entirely too late enjoying a Kenyan band? Given and proctored by the T.A.
  • 60 exams with one essay apiece? Magically graded, within 72 hours, even though the T.A. got sick and missed a day.
  • Lecture on the Federalist papers, not exactly our favorite topic? The T.A. wanted to do it, so he did.
  • Innumberable asinine questions from students who can't be bothered to come to class? Directed to someone other than me.

The best part is I only actually asked him to give the exam. I do not have any plans to abuse my T.A.'s friendliness and willingness to help, but, wow, this is great. Here's where I begin to rethink my plan to teach at liberal arts colleges forever.

In other news, job postings are starting to come out. McMurry is hiring. Yippee.

8 Comments:

Blogger kat said...

Admit it, you just want to help set up the tepees every year.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:02:00 PM

 
Blogger euphrony said...

How did I post that using Kat's account? I confused, but it was really me, Euphrony.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:03:00 PM

 
Blogger Michael said...

One of my fellow grad students just accepted a job at McMurry (He's comparative to). I think they have 3 faculty total. I wonder if McM didn't update their listing.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:16:00 PM

 
Blogger Michael said...

to = too. i don't do english so well apparently.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:16:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing. You might be the only person besides me to use the word future and Abilene together.

--Cody

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:57:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Euphrony, I was an Indian Princess with my daddy when I was seven. I'm sure that means I can pitch a mean tepee.

Michael, here's hoping. But the listing I saw is brand new. Maybe they're expanding the department?

Cody, I can't even reply. Oh, yikes.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:02:00 PM

 
Blogger Michael said...

Here's hoping you are right. Good luck getting the job!

And for the record, my dream academic job is at my alma mater Hardin-Simmons, also in Abilene.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:11:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Wait, there was supposed to be a question mark!!!

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:13:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home