"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

6.04.2008

in which i offend half the tia readership



My friend C (who probably needs a nickname, hmm?) sends along this little gem, which you may have heard about. Apparently some people in our society are in need of a way to continue sending emails after the Second Coming - specifically for the purpose of explaining where they've gone - and, as is the case with any perceived need in America, there's a capitalist ready to step in with a solution to such dilemmas. For only $40 per annum, Youvebeenleftbehind.com will send emails to 62 of your closest friends and family to explain why you're gone and they're not. And, presumably, what they'll need to do during the next seven and/or 3.5 years of tribulation.

Sigh. I just have no patience for bad theology, and most popular understandings of the so-called rapture are based on really bad theology. This is largely based in my having spent way too much time as a teenager being taught really distorted garbage about the Second Coming (including that the antichrist would be the Secretary-General of the United Nations, that the battle of armageddon would take place somewhere near Moscow (or was it Jerusalem? I forget.), and a whole lot of other crazy). Don't get me wrong, as my sister always points out, there are 2000 years of church tradition (not to mention scriptures) about the return of Christ, but returning to judge the quick and the dead is quite another matter than all the nonsense that's been popularized as a result of a poorly written series of fantasy novels and one too many Dawson McAlister conferences.

(Don't get all mad. Other than the fact that it's based on stuff that someone made up less than two hundred years ago that was then exaggerated in the face of the Cold War nuclear annihilation threat in contrast to 1800 previous years of Christian tradition, I'm sure it's fine to believe whatever you want about these things.)

This post was probably enough to get me on someone's post-rapture email list, huh?

8 Comments:

Blogger euphrony said...

I am totally speechless. I feel moved to vomit.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 4:24:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, i am of another generation but your truth has spoken to my truth . . . cults thrive on fear and I think there is a parallel here.

Judy of OK

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 6:40:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I put you on my post-rapture email list. And I definitely want a nickname.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 10:20:00 PM

 
OpenID awesomeave said...

Yep (I blogged it too), I get a lot of direct mail e-newsletters and this was in one of them. You should check the link, he makes a funny point regarding spam filters...

Thursday, June 05, 2008 7:53:00 AM

 
Blogger Tricia said...

I hope Jesus never hits me like an atom bomb. I think that would really hurt.

One of the happiest days of my Christian life was discovering that dispensationalism and all the rapture and end-of-the-world nonsense was invented by J.N. Darby and perpetuated by Scofield and his study Bible notes. I never liked that stuff and always avoided the train wreck that is the in-depth study of Revelation. What a relief it was to know I didn't have to take it seriously and could read Revelation as an allegory of hope for an oppressed and persecuted people.

Thursday, June 05, 2008 8:03:00 AM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Emily, that's awesome.

Tricia, I'm so with you. It's amazing how truth can set us free.

C, I'll work on the nickname. And if I'm getting left behind, so are you!

Thursday, June 05, 2008 10:35:00 AM

 
Blogger Arnie Adkison said...

TIA, you guys have to check out the greatest parody series of all time. Canon Press out of Moscow, Idaho has their "Upturned Table Parody Series." The first one I was introduced to was "The Mantra of Jabez," but the best of the bunch is "Right Behind", written by Nathan Wilson and Mr. Sock. That was followed up by a sequel, "Supergeddon: A Really Big Geddon." You can actually buy them on Amazon now, here's the link to Right Behind: http://www.amazon.com/Right-Behind-Parody-Last-Goofiness/dp/1885767870

Thursday, June 05, 2008 5:46:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Arnie, that's hilarious. Thanks!

Thursday, June 05, 2008 9:15:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home