"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


couldn't have said it better

From jamesdobsondoesntspeakforme.com, a group led by Rev. Kirbyjon Caldwell (who officiated Jenna Bush's wedding last month in Crawford and who has endorsed Obama):

"James Dobson doesn't speak for me.

He doesn't speak for me when he uses religion as a wedge to divide;

He doesn't speak for me when he speaks as the final arbiter on the meaning of the Bible;

James Dobson doesn't speak for me when he uses the beliefs of others as a line of attack;

He doesn't speak for me when he denigrates his neighbor's views when they don't line up with his;

He doesn't speak for me when he seeks to confine the values of my faith to two or three issues alone;

What does speak for me is David's psalm celebrating how good and pleasant it is when we come together in unity;

Micah speaks for me in reminding us that the Lord requires us to act justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with Him;

The prophet Isaiah speaks for me in his call for all to come and reason together and also to seek justice, encourage the oppressed and to defend the cause of the vulnerable;

The book of Nehemiah speaks for me in its example to work with our neighbors, not against them, to restore what was broken in our communities;

The book of Matthew speaks for me in saying to bless those that curse you and pray for those who persecute you;

The words of the apostle Paul speak for me in saying that words spoken and deeds done without love amount to nothing.

The apostle John speaks for me in reminding us of Jesus' command to love one another. The world will know His disciples by that love."

To be clear, I am not posting this to bash Dr. Dobson. I think he's helped millions of families and parents with his advice about relationships and childrearing, even though I disagree with parts of his stance on the role of women in the family. But I also believe that all of us would be a lot be better off if he would just focus on the family rather than playing political kingmaker.


Anonymous Michael Westmoreland- said...

I'm old enuff to remember when Dobson's Dare to Discipline first was published. It contained such weird advice as telling fathers to shower with their young sons in order to keep them from becoming gay. (You can't make this stuff up.) I don't know if he left that out of later editions, but I decided right then and there that I didn't trust his views on ANYTHING.

He has no theology degrees and so is not a qualified theologian or biblical scholar. Neither is Obama, but Obama's take on Scripture seems to be to be much more informed than Dobson's.

Dobson has no law degree and Obama does. Obama has studied under some of the finest legal scholars (e.g., Lawrence Tribe) and taught Constitutional Law at the University of Chicago. His view seem to this legal layperson to be very centrist--not fruitcake.

Dobson has become "old guard" in the Religious Right. I doubt he has much influence in evangelical circles any longer. He is to the RR what Ralph Nader is to secular liberalism--a once respected figure who is now viewed as having gone round the bend.

Dobson once could have influenced the GOP presidential nomination. No longer. He got McCain anyway. Now, his attacks on Obama may do nothing more than help Obama secure more of the evangelical vote.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:17:00 AM

Blogger Angela said...


Wednesday, June 25, 2008 12:23:00 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home