"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

5.19.2008

this & that

  • I'm banning internet surfing in my classes from here on out. Here's a good explanation of the issue. It's not to be mean, it's just that students tune out and get nothing from the class (and bring their compatriots down) when they're thoroughly distracted. My general feeling is that if students have something more important to do while I'm lecturing (my lectures require active participation on their part), they should probably go do it. And it's not like I don't know EXACTLY what they're doing. It's totally obvious, even with the back row.
  • Here's a persuasive argument that not everyone should be in college. Although I think the doors of higher education should be open to anyone who works hard, I'm very inclined to agree. Some people just can't cut it, and it's a waste of everyone's time, money, and effort to pretend that they can.
  • Ha! This is for my sister. See?!?!

2 Comments:

Blogger David McCullars said...

Wow, that second article was academic, intellectual snobbery and elitism at its nastiest. Yes, Prof X is spot on that the academic side of college isn't for everyone. But what Prof X has clearly forgotten is that college has become something much, much larger than pure academics for our society. It's the wilderness where so many of our youths find themselves. And although the value of this to our culture and society is certainly debatable, the context and problem space is far greater than Prof X cares to admit. Indeed, not having read To Kill a Mocking Bird is a very biased litmus test for judging the college-worthiness of a student. And who said that making great minds out of mud should be easy?

Monday, May 19, 2008 2:09:00 PM

 
Anonymous Sister said...

Did you actually read the article on birth order? I'm the perfectionist rule-keeper who takes fewer risks. You were the one who came closest to full-out rebellion. And I always said you were the guinea pig and I was the one they got right! ;p

Monday, May 19, 2008 5:47:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home