"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

5.05.2008

oh wow

Holy smokes.

I just got a possible job offer (as in, "we're desparate; someone we trust knows you; send your cv") for an academic job. For which I haven't applied. For next year. In Minnesota. With a real salary.

I have to say no, of course. I've already accepted a job for next year here. I can't teach three classes per semester (with five new preps) next year and finish my dissertation. I have a lease. I can't handle snow. Or move to Minnesota in two months.

But, wow. Nobody's ever offered me that kind of money before.

I think I'll sleep before replying.

4 Comments:

Blogger David McCullars said...

A clear indication of more good things to come ... congrats!

Monday, May 05, 2008 9:33:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Thanks!

Of course, it could just be an indication of how the good ole boy network wins again, or how an only marginally-qualified person can get hired when a place is desparate.

Monday, May 05, 2008 9:49:00 PM

 
Blogger Ann said...

Minnesota ROCKS! you should totally move there.

Monday, May 05, 2008 10:13:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

We have to talk about my feelings about Cold. And Snow. And how miserable I was in New Haven, which isn't half as cold as rural Minnesota, and also had a good library.

Monday, May 05, 2008 10:27:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home