"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


a nice visual

This is a cool map I found this week while reading a book on early missionary work in the Belgian Congo. (The book is so old that it's falling apart, and I'm not allowed to take it out of the library, which borrowed it from a Big Fancy Library on the Coast on my behalf.)

Anyway, the map shows the Congo River basin superimposed on a map of Europe. I love that this gives such a great visual as to how stinking large the country I'm supposed to know everything about is. Notice that the distance from Leopoldville (present-day Kinshasa, the capital) to Lake Kivu, where I work, is almost as far as the distance from Paris to St. Petersburg. Katanga is down in Turkey and Greece. No wonder no one has ever really been able to control this vast territory.


Anonymous kirstin said...

that's cool! i had no idea it was that big.

Sunday, May 18, 2008 1:39:00 PM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Yeah, now remember that there are 300 miles of paved roads in that area.

I should point out that some of the parts that are north of the main line of the Congo River (roughly through the middle of France, so England) are in the other Congo. This is a map of the river basin.

Monday, May 19, 2008 9:33:00 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home