"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

4.01.2008

zimbabwe watch

More and more international news outlets are reporting that negotiators are close to a deal that will allow Mugabe to step down in Zimbabwe. His party apparently lost the election, and South African diplomats seem to be telling him it's time to go.

I will believe it when I see it, but if it happens, that's a huge relief for the people of Zimbabwe, who have suffered for far too long under Mr. Mugabe's increasingly erratic rule. As always, I look to the excellent reports from the ground on Kubatana.net to find out what's really going on. We'll see.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you really think he'll just step down? It just doesn't seem to be in his character. Nobody thought KANU-PF would ever lose Kenya's election, though.

The papers in Uganda seem to think Mugabe will mobilize the army and retain power.

James

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 7:43:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry... KANU, not KANU-PF; seems I've just turned KANU into a "Patriotic Front," combining the politics of two shady African governments. (I guess that's the purpose of the preview button.)

James

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 7:50:00 AM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

No, I don't think he'll just step down, but if there's too much pressure at the highest levels from neighboring states, he'll have to find a way out. We'll see.

I'm pretty sure KANU wouldn't be one bit upset to be considered patriotic. :)

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 8:49:00 AM

 
Blogger Tauratinzwe said...

My big fear is that they'll swing a runoff election between Mugabe and Tsvangarai and the Green Bombers will be loosed upon the people to guarantee a Mugabe "victory." Mugabe is the only president of a country I know that brags of having a degree in violence.

Still, miracles still happen. I'm praying.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 1:39:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home