"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


a little monday music

So I've gone back and forth for the last six weeks or so as to whether or not I should post this song. It's a huge hit in Kosova (HUGE. As in, on the radio every hour.), but I don't know what it means, and I can't decide if it's wildly inappropriate, or if it's just totally wacky in the way that only European pop stars who were born to an American father in the Middle East can be. At any rate, it's darn catchy and the video is crazier than a Betsey Johnson dress, so I'm going to go ahead and post it here. You were warned.

Of course, high camp from MIKA reminds me that the 2008 edition of the Eurovision Song Contest is less than a month or so away. (There was much drama in Kosova last month as the debate over whether Europe's newest state would be allowed to participate. Two teensey little problems seemed to be standing in the way of that dream: 1) it was awfully late to just be getting started on finding an act and a song that meets Eurovision's requirements, and 2) the contest is in Belgrade this year, because Serbia won last year and that's how it works. Seeing as I (an American) couldn't get into Serbia with UNMIK/Kosova stamps on my passport, it's hard to imagine how an actual Kosovar would be able to safely travel to Belgrade and be welcomed by the authorities.)

As always, I will turn to Mike at Troubled Diva for his pitch-perfect coverage of the bizarre costumes, mediocre music, and occasional gems that are Eurovision. I recommend that you do the same.


Post a Comment

<< Home