"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

4.12.2008

life is more than a vision

As you may have noticed, I've been a little busy lately. And by "a little busy," I mean, I've been out of town and/or conferring for the last 6 weekends straight, and for 7 of the last 8 weekends. (Plus, you know, teaching two classes, writing a dissertation, and whatnot.) It was fun camping and being in Lubbock, Pristina, Skopje, London, Franklin, and Chicago, but I'm worn out from all the travel and the work (not to mention the mess) that's been waiting every time I get home.

So naturally, this Saturday, the first one on which I've been free in Austin for awhile, I got up at 6am to do Habitat for Humanity.

It was totally worth it. I'm the Habitat coordinator for our church, and I absolutely love our annual day of working together to build a home for a family in need. And we were drywalling, which is pretty much the most fun thing (besides framing) you can do on a build. We had a great crew, a fantastic lunch team, and were able to spend an absolutely gorgeous day in Austin, Texas putting up walls on a new home for a single mom and her two teenagers. (And the Lobbyist for the Good Guys and I learned that you can in fact manage to royally screw up the notching on a door and still make it work. Ahem.)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to catch up on some much-needed weekend rest. It's been awhile.

1 Comments:

Blogger LJ said...

Very cool! Sounds fun and very rewarding. Always thought that would be a great project to participate in.

Happy resting!

Sunday, April 13, 2008 9:42:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home