"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

4.21.2008

from that eternal silence


"And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

"I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements gray,
I hear it in the deep heart's core."



It's been two years since she left us. Two years since that gray, gray day. Two years since bad news arrived in a late-night, "I'm so sorry," text message from my sister. Two years since an all-too-short late-night call to the states on a terrible Congo connection to cry with the CPP. Two years since sitting by the lake in Goma during her funeral in Waco. Two years since thinking too much about unfairness and injustice.

Two years is a long time. A lot changes in two years. "Tho much is taken, much abides," and while life and love go on, we still miss you, Allie. Rest in peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home